LibreOffice is an office package that came out as an OpenOffice clone (after Sun bought it), which has since been developed and improved independently.
Like OpenOffice, LibreOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office and also cross-platform (Windows, Macintosh and Linux), including a word processor (Writer), an editor spreadsheet (Calc), an application for And create PowerPoint- style presentations (Impress), a database manager (Base), a mathematical function editor that allows you to work with equations and functions (Math), and a vector graphics editor (Draw) Visio application style diagrams.
The above mentioned applications can open formats used by Office, such as Word documents (.doc and .docx), Excel spreadsheets (.xls and .xlsx), PowerPoint presentations (.ppt and .pptx) And Access databases .
LibreOffice presents some very interesting extra features:
- LibreOffice allows you to import documents from other applications such as Microsoft Works, Lotus WordPro, WordPerfect, and also images in SVG format.
- Writer and Calc allow you to export presentations to PDF or HTML format, as well as Impress which also allows exporting to SWF (Flash) format.
- It has a tool to create and edit PDF files.
- Base allows you to connect to other database engines, such as MySQL, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL, via JDBC or ODBC.
- Calc supports various database formats such as SQL or Oracle, whose data can be sorted and filtered to generate statistical analysis.
- It includes a tool known as "Statistics Wizard", alternative to "Analysis ToolPak" Excel, which can be applied to handle statistical data, financial and other types of calculations.
LibreOffice 5.2.4 is the latest version, updated in December 2016, which can be downloaded free in Spanish for Windows, Linux or Mac.